Monday, February 15, 2010

Food Inc.

Admittedly, I was skeptical of this book and this movie before we started looking at it. I was dreading the day we started looking at this stuff. What could we possible talk about that would be interesting at all? I thought it would be the typical animal cruelty discussion and that would be how we spend the majority of our classes with this topic. Needless to say, I was wrong. After watching the film, I was more than impressed with the information they discussed. I had no idea about the overall structure of our food industry not to mention the affects of that structure. I'm not however, completely naive, I did know that most of the food we consume is processed in factories, but after watching Food Inc, I realized that I had no real idea to the extent which that processing occurs. I didn't know that the meatpacking and production industries are controlled by 3 or 4 GIGANTIC corporations. I didn't know that those corporations pay farmers (poorly) to generate mass amounts of food to be processed. I thought it was gross that the Chickens are fed to get so unnaturally large that they can't walk but more than a few steps. I thought it was crazy that feeding cows corn instead of grass has a huge effect on their health and the health value of the meat we consume. Deadly E. Coli coming from corn fed cows was an issue that I had really no knowledge of. My mom always looks for grass fed beef, and I've never really asked or wondered why...I simply thought it was a weird phase she was in, but now I understand the reasons behind her motivation (Thanks Mom).

I also found it very very interesting how the film highlighted ways in which it's cheaper to eat unhealthy in this country. That's something that I've noticed in my first few years at college, living on my own, buying groceries out of my own pocket...it's much cheaper, and often times easier, to buy bad food than it is to purchase the healthier items. Thats a dynamic that is so backwards it boggles my mind a bit. All in all, I think that this book will highlight a lot of important issues that will be beneficial to talk about. I'm looking forward to the rest of what's coming.

1 comment:

  1. The text from the book is a completely different media. To me, given this subject matter, I've found the film to be much more interesting than the text. The text is a lot dryer and it's harder to engage the way the film lets you. The book relies more on factual and hard evidence to provide background information and use that knowledge to persuade and influence the reader. The film uses, in my opinion, more "hands on" tactics, where the viewer is brought into a world and shown the problem. The film uses a lot more emotional appeal and when the viewer is allotted that sort of involvement it sticks in their mind and makes a lasting impression

    ReplyDelete