Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Food Inc. pt 2

There is a whole lot of substance in this topic and almost everything I learn makes me want to help the situation out. The biggest way I think I could help is probably to purchase my food smarter. My girlfriend always wants to go to the farmers market...any farmers market anywhere, she'll go and after learning what I have about our processed grocery store food, I respect her a lot for doing so; In fact I wish that I shopped that way.
Im also a big meat eater, and it makes up such a big chunk of my diet that I'm not sure that I could change that or give it up. What I think I can do though, is to be more cautious of the meat I eat. I want to start to go to the farmers market and buy there first. I'll also make a conscious effort to go organic in the stores that I shop at, hoping that those purchases will be better.

In terms of the ethanol that is talked about in this section, people probably aren't going to side with me here but I don't hate ethanol that much. I met a guy once who was working on ethanol as a fuel source and he was so up beat and excited about it. This wasn't the kind of profit hoarding guy who got excited because he wanted to rip people off, this was genuine excitement at the prospect of doing something that helped the world out. When I think about this, I tend to lean a little bit towards this man's side. I know that ethanol research has largely stopped, but while it was happening, what was so bad about taking a crop that we have an excess of and trying to use that excess as a fuel source? In my opinion, if it could be done right, it seems sort of brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment